Removing McAfee from Windows XP
The contract between UNH IT and McAfee will expire in June 2012. Faculty, staff, and students should replace McAfee prior to the end of June.
Forefront will automatically remove McAfee on its own. Students should use the instructions below to manually remove McAfee before installing Microsoft Security Essentials or other antivirus products.
Below are the instructions to remove McAfee from Windows XP. For instructions on how to remove McAfee from Windows 7 and Vista, click here.
Instructions to remove McAfee:
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel .
Select Add or remove programs.
Locate McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module and click Remove.
An error may occur. If so select Yes.
Locate McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and click Remove
If you receive an error or series of errors trying to remove McAfee Agent, follow the instructions below.
To remove McAfee Agent, follow this procedure:
- Click Start
- Click Run
Type "cmd" and press Enter. A command prompt will open.
Highlight and copy the following command (including the quotation marks):
“C:\program files\mcafee\common framework\frminst”/remove=Agent
- Right click the Command Prompt and select Paste.
Press Enter and the uninstallation will start.
- A prompt will inform you that “McAfee Agent Setup completed Successfully.” Click OK. McAfee is now fully uninstalled from your PC.
Technical Professional Services
- Computer Repair Services
- Premium Services
- Software Services
- Campus Antivirus
- Frequently Asked Questions
- SCEP for Windows Installation
- SCEP for Windows Usage
- SCEP for Mac Installation
- SCEP for Mac Usage
- SCEP Best Practices
- Microsoft Security Essentials Installation
- Microsoft Security Essentials Usage
- Removing McAfee from Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Removing McAfee from Windows XP
- Apple Education Licensing
- Campus Antivirus