Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection Installation
Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection (Forefront) is an antivirus/malware tool developed and distributed by Microsoft for business level security (see FAQ). University of New Hampshire students are encouraged to use Microsoft Security Essentials.
A licensed version of one of the following:
- Windows XP (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Remove Existing Antivirus Programs
Forefront is able to automatically uninstall antivirus programs that are currently on your computer. Be sure to select the removal option when prompted during the installation process.
Microsoft recommends backing up data and ensuring Windows is up to date prior to installation.
For instructions on how to back up data, please visit this page.
- Download the installer to a desired location on your computer. It can be downloaded here (AD authentication is required).
- Unzip the installer "FEPInstall.exe" from the zip file "ForefrontInstall.zip" by right clicking on it and selecting "Extract All". In the dialog that appears enter a location to extract the installer then click the "Extract" button.
- Navigate to the newly extracted folder. Windows XP users should open the installer "FEPInstall.exe" by double-clicking on it. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users should right click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".
The installer will open. Click Next.
Read the License Agreement. Click I accept to agree to the terms.
Next you are asked to “Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program.” Joining is optional. Click the Learn more link if you are interested. Choose an option and click Next.
Next, choose whether or not you want your firewall turned on. Server administrators are urged to carefully consider which setting they want before choosing. Make your selection and click Next.
Next, Forefront will check for other installed antivirus software. If found select, Remove Now. Otherwise, click Install.
- Once the installation is complete, it will ask to scan the computer. Choose Scan my computer for potential threats after getting the latest updates to scan your computer, and click Finish.
- Forefront is now installed, active, and ready to be used. Refer to the Forefront Usage Instructions for information on how to update your definitions, scan your computer, and remove malware.
Technical Professional Services
- Computer Repair Services
- Premium Services
- Software Services
- Campus Antivirus
- Frequently Asked Questions
- SCEP for Windows Installation
- SCEP for Windows Usage
- SCEP for Mac Installation
- SCEP for Mac Usage
- SCEP Best Practices
- Microsoft Security Essentials Installation
- Microsoft Security Essentials Usage
- Removing McAfee from Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Removing McAfee from Windows XP
- Apple Education Licensing
- Campus Antivirus