Microsoft Security Essentials Installation
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus/malware tool developed and distributed by Microsoft for home users and businesses with less than ten computers (see FAQ). University of New Hampshire faculty and staff should use Forefront Endpoint Protection for University owned computers.
- Windows XP (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (64-bit or 32-bit)
- Windows 7 (64-bit or 32-bit)
Remove Existing Antivirus Programs
Before installing MSE, it is important to make sure you do not already have another antivirus program installed.
McAfee removal instructions for Windows 7 and Windows Vista are available here.
McAfee removal instructions for Windows XP are available here.
Click here to download.
Microsoft recommends backing up data and ensuring Windows is fully up to date prior to installation. For instructions on how to back up data, please visit this page.
- Download the installer to desired location on your computer. The installer can be downloaded from Microsoft here.
- Locate the Installer (mseinstall.exe) and double click it.
- Open the installer. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users should right click the installer and choose Run as administrator. Windows XP users should double click the installer.
The installer will open. Click Next.
You will be asked to “Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program.” Joining is optional. Click the Learn more link if you are interested. Choose your preference and click Next.
Choose whether or not you want your firewall turned on and click Next.
Select Install to start the installation process.
Once the installation is complete, it will ask you if you want to scan your computer. Select your choice, and click Finish.
- Microsoft Security Essentials is now installed, active, and ready for use. Refer to the MSE Usage Instructions for information on how to update your definitions, scan your computer, and remove malware.
Technical Professional Services
- Computer Repair Services
- Premium Services
- Software Services
- Campus Antivirus
- Frequently Asked Questions
- SCEP for Windows Installation
- SCEP for Windows Usage
- SCEP for Mac Installation
- SCEP for Mac Usage
- SCEP Best Practices
- Microsoft Security Essentials Installation
- Microsoft Security Essentials Usage
- Removing McAfee from Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Removing McAfee from Windows XP
- Apple Education Licensing
- Campus Antivirus